There are various kinds of food poisoning that one might suffer from. All the various kinds of food poisoning are generally caused by contaminated food and water. Many kinds of food poisoning may be common in a few parts of the world while some may not be dependent on location. Avoiding kinds of food poisoning can be easy of one knows what is going into their food. So, home cooked meals are likely to not lead to food poisoning.
Irrespective of cause the various kinds of food poisoning can be very painful as well as dangerous. If left untreated food poisoning can become fatal. Here are a few types of food poisoning that are more common than one would like to believe:
– Campylobacter enteritis- this kind of food poisoning occurs if one eats unprocessed or undercooked/boiled meat, vegetable, milk and water. Animal droppings can also be a source of the bacteria. Although it is not fatal to man it can cause severe discomfort. Diarrhea, fever and aches are the symptom of this kind of food poisoning.
– Cholera- this food poisoning is most common in third world countries where fresh water may not be readily available. Ingesting contaminated water or any food washed in the contaminated water can easily cause cholera. Severe dehydration is caused by cholera since the patient can lose bladder control. The continuous excretion of water causes dehydration in the body. Cholera can be fatal if left untreated.
– Fish Poisoning- tropical fishes can be contaminated with algal toxins that causes food poisoning in humans. Undercooked fish is the cause of this food poisoning. The symptoms are similar to regular food poisoning but it can lead to irreversible neurological problems. So, it is best to avoid eating raw or undercooked tropical fishes.
– Staphylococcus- these bacteria thrive at room temperature and if the food is once contaminated the bacteria cannot be killed off by cooking or reheating. Although this may not be life threatening but the experience can be traumatizing. It causes both nausea as well as diarrhea so it can leave the patient quite drained.
– Salmonella- uncooked poultry as well as eggs can harbor salmonella bacteria. When cooking poultry or eggs be sure to cook them well to kill the bacteria off. It can infect even without being ingested. Any contaminated surface can keep the bacteria alive till it finds its way into the human body. It can cause nausea, diarrhea and abdominal aches for a long period of time.
– E. coli- this kind of food poisoning is like the thing of nightmares. Red meat and unwashed vegetables are the main sources of the bacteria strain. Treatment efforts are usually in vain since the bacteria are known to kill off most they have infected. It causes severe stabbing pains in the colon. The colon pain eventually leads to bleeding and eventually death.
There are many more kinds of food poisoning known to mankind. It is best to steer clear of contaminated and undercooked food if one wishes to avoid food poisoning.