Sharks are one of the most feared fish in the world. There is a wide variety of sharks in the seas around the world and the kinds of sharks list have almost 470 different species of sharks. Sharks have a cartilaginous skeleton and their gills are split in 5 to 7 places and they have pectoral fins which are not merged with their heads. Sharks are found in different shapes and sizes that span from barely 18 centimeters to as big as 40 feet. Sharks are usually found in seawater and they generally cannot survive in fresh water bodies, barring a few exceptions. Their teeth are one of the strongest for any animal and are embedded deep in their gums and are replaced all their lives. Their skeletons are made from cartilage, which is flexible and stronger and has a lower bone density. Sharks live anywhere between 20 to 30 years but 2 species of sharks; the whale sharks and the spiny dogfish have a life span that exceeds 100 years.
Let us learn more about the different kinds of sharks list that are more commonly seen and known by humans.
– Angel Shark fish – These kinds of sharks look pretty similar to a stingray and the most common way to distinguish them from stingrays is the pectoral fins that are not connected to their heads. These sharks are bottom feeders and usually prey on fish that swim close to the sea bed or on clams and other crustaceans. Angel shark fish tend to bury themselves under sand during preying and only their eyes are exposed
– Black tip Reef Shark – This species of shark is probably one of the most know to humans as they breed and grow well in captivity. These are the sharks that you tend to see in aquariums.
– Black tip Shark – This species of shark is different from the black tip reef sharks and can grow anywhere between 5 to 9 feet in length. They are prominently found on the coast of Florida in breeding season (Feb and March) every year.
– Basking Shark – These kinds of sharks list as the 2nd largest among all sharks and can grow up to 30 feet in length. They can weigh up to 8000 pounds.
– Blue Shark – Blue Sharks have a sleek body which is usually tapering and can grow up to 12 feet. These kinds of sharks list as one of the fastest swimming sharks and tend to leap out of water. They prefer preying on squids but can eat other fish too and have known to attack humans in the past
– Bull Shark – This shark is among the most dangerous of the species and has the ability to survive in sea as well as fresh water bodies.
– Great Whites Shark – These kinds of sharks list as the most dangerous and has attacked humans more than any other species of sharks. They can weigh up to 3000 pounds and grow up to 12 feet in length.
– Mako Shark – This shark is the fastest among all sharks and can swim at a speed of 43 miles per hour and also known to leap outside water.
– Spiny Dog Fish Shark – This shark is the most abundantly found shark and can grow up to 3 to 4 feet in length. These are the kinds of sharks that are eaten by people but they have a poisonous spine, which doesn’t harm humans.
– Tiger Sharks – Tiger sharks are among the most dangerous sharks as they can eat anything including humans and known to attack boats.
– Whale Shark – Whale Sharks are the biggest fish/shark that grows up to 45 feet in length and can weigh up to 30,000 pounds. These sharks are not whales, as whales are mammals wherein whale sharks are fish.
These are some of the most commonly known sharks however there are hundreds of different species of shark that are found in the seas around the world.